23 September 2015
Student from Djibouti came to study Russian at IIE&LC
Tomsk Polytechnic University has foreign students from more than 40 countries – Algeria, Venezuela, Vietnam, Germany, India, China, Cameroon, Columbia, Mongolia, USA, Thailand, Chile, and others. Djibouti is a new country which has joint TPU this year.
Djibouti is a small country in East Africa, population is 1 million people. The first students of Pre-University Department, IIE&LC, Liban Kamil Yassin and Mohamed Elmi Miganeh told about their expectations and their native place.
- Liban, Mohamed, tell about your country.
- The Republic of Djibouti is a small country and borders on Somali, Ethiopia, Eritrea. Our country was a French colony in the XIX-th century and it became independent at the end of the XX-th century. Nowadays, Djibouti is an Islamic country. The official languages are Somalian, Afar and French. We have many outstanding people and heroes, unique monuments and buildings.
- Tell about yourself.
- Liban: I was born in a big family with 9 children. It is typical for our country. I like football, go to the countryside to have barbeque. I worked as a teacher of the English language in Djibouti. I came to Russia to study Russian but I would like to show my culture here.
- Mohamed: My parents have 8 children. Our national sport is football. I like to study something new. I came to Russia not only to study the language. I want to go skiing. I have never seen the snow.
- What is the most attractive for you in Siberia?
- We graduated from the University and came to Russia without any doubts. We believe that the Russian Federation is one of the most forward-looking countries in the world. We are sure that Russian education provides you with a great chance for successful career promotion.
- What is the most surprising for you in Russia?
- People are very friendly here. In our opinion Tomsk is very calm and quiet.
- What is unusual for you?
- In our country only women cook food. We have to cook by ourselves here.
- You will be living in Tomsk for 5 years. Do you want to stay in Russia?
- Liban: I will stay in Russia if I meet my future wife.
- Mohamed: To be honest, I will come back to Djibouti but I like Russia very much.